Friday, March 2, 2007

More Idol Banter

If I ever labored under the illusion that a reality show was reality, then last night cured me of it. I have never watched a full season of American Idol before. In fact, last year was the first time I ever watched it at all, and there I came in, initially, during the semi-finals. You know, the night Chris Daughtry sang Hemorrhage by Fuel.

I've always prided myself on staying away from the 'reality' fare that makes up TV. For instance, I've never watched Survivor or any of its offshoots. Overall I don't even watch that much TV. But I took to Idol last year with a bit more passion than is normal for me, to the extent where I would talk about it at work the next day.

That's big.

That places it in the league of baseball or football games.

I know there is a site on the internet called votefortheworst.com that compels its readers to vote now and vote often to keep the less-than-able performers on as long as possible, ostensibly to discredit the show. They may have an effect on the voting - I just don't know.

Sanjaya should have been voted off last night, not AJ.

Antonella should have been one of the bottom two as well.

I'm not squishy, and I don't really care if it's cruel or not to keep Sanjaya or Antonella on any longer. Entertainment is a huge money-making business. It will eat whatever it can to stay alive. There has to be knowledge of this going in. It's economic Darwinism at its best.

So I will look at it from the point of view of me.

I simply don't want to hear them any more. I'm done with seeing if they can make it happen. After two tries in the semis, it's obvious to me they can't.

Yet, they are still here.

Something is not right about this show.

Not right.

And not reality.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree, Sanjaya should have gotten the boot last night. I thought for sure he was the one going when he and AJ were up front with Ryan. The vote went against what the judges had said even. Oh well, who am I, I still think Taylor Hicks should have booted off last season.