Tuesday, March 13, 2007

More On (moron?) Idol

Do you know what a blog is?

In all actuality, it is a form of self-aggrandizement.

The blogger assumes that he/she is interesting enough to read, that folks will read, so the blogger continues to.. ahhh, blog. (I know it's a shortened version of weblog, but it's still an odd word).

Blogs are for people who like to hear themselves talk. The bloggers that is.

American Idol this week. Down to 12.

Brandon sang "You Can't Hurry Love." He forgot some of the words in a fairly obvious manner. The judges panned it. I didn't think it was as bad as they made it out to be, but I don't think he stands a chance of making it to the end.

Melinda. Whew! She gave me chills listening to and watching her. Her start wasn't particularly strong - she seemed tentative with it. But she built on it and got into the performer role quickly. She emotes as well if not better than anyone else in the show and she knows how to phrase. I didn't know the song she sang, probably wouldn't even like it in its original incarnation. As an artist, however, Melinda was able to create something grand with it.

Chris Sligh sang "Endless Love." He contemporized it, and I think Randy was right when he compared it to a Coldplay sound. The judges hated it, thought he should have stayed traditional with it. I find it odd that they continually harp on people to make a song stand out, to make it their own, but when it happens, they aren't so supportive. I disagree with them. I thought it added an interest factor that the original couldn't create. Gotta remember, it was a duet with Lionel Ritchie back in the early 80s and typical, sort of sappy love song, in my opinion. Speaking of contemporizing, Blake Lewis did the same with "You Keep Me Hanging On." Judges said pretty much the same thing as with Chris. I was glad to see Blake didn't beatbox this one. I don't think it was a performance worthy of the top spot, but still strong enough to keep him around for a while longer.

It occurs to me that Blake's and Chris' renditions of their songs probably make good concert fare, but maybe not good CD listening. I liked the light visuals that went along with their performances. Had I simply heard just the audios, I may have wondered who butchered the songs.

Gina did "Love Child." Good song choice. I just don't think she commands a stage well and seemed rather small during the performance. It was difficult to differentiate her from the background music at times.

Sanjaya, "Ain't No Mountain High Enough." Randy said it was unlistenable. That about sums it up.

Haley sang "Missing You." She looked hot hot hot tonight. Unfortunately, her singing was not not not. Her vocals were just ok and she forgot some words.

Phil sang "Yes, I Will." His delivery is good; he has a strong voice. I thought he was much better tonight than last week. But he's a bit scary to look at.

Lakisha, strong performance with "God Bless the Child." Her advancing is a given, though I have to say I didn't particularly like the song she did. However, it seemed like a good choice for her, especially since it was a Billie Holiday piece. Very fitting.

Stephanie sang "Love Hangover." She does well, has stage presence. I don't think she belonged in the category of Melinda this week, but she'll hang for a while. She has a Beyonce thing going for her which is utterly foreign to me, but seems to connect well with a younger crowd.

Chris Richardson did "The Boss." Do you know who Chris is? He is this seasons' Elliot Yamin. He does an above average job, seems quite likable. I don't care for the tonal quality of his voice as I didnt' much care for Elliot's as well. I would find it torturous to try and listen to an entire CD of his music.

Jordin Sparks capped it all off with "If We Hold On Together." Fantastic voice, great presentation and all from a 17 year old. I think Randy was quite right when he said she moved into the Melinda/Lakisha category tonight.

I won't predict who will be booted this week, though the following have to be susceptible: Sanjaya, Haley, Brandon, possibly Gina, except she's the token rocker this year, so she'll probably stick around a while longer. Phil and Chris Richardson can't be far behind those.


5 comments:

ndmom said...

Well I'll have to disagree with your Elliott Yamin comment, as you may find yourself disagreeing also. Listen here, http://www.myspace.com/elliottyamin

nanassetta said...

I can understand that this is your opinion of Elliott Yamin. Have you heard his latest music? Perhaps you would enjoy a listen on iTunes. Movin On and Wait For You are there.
I'd love for you to give a quick listen and let me know what you think of Elliott now.

Anonymous said...

I don't think Phil is so bad to look at, Sanjaya though, does something...with his face...it looks like he's constipated...I think Paula condoned it and called it a smile. Oh man, that hurt...he's gonna keep doing that. I didn't get to see Melinda, or Chris S, or Jordin...I was making fajitas, Lakisha I saw, I didn't pay any attention to her song, I was paying attention to her not-coy, not-nervous, not-self-conscious, not-pretentious, and...and...I can't bear looking at or listening to Diana Ross. I'm pretty sure she had nothing of merit to contribute to these performers, and if she did, it wasn't televised.
I don't know how I got here:)

Jeff Howe said...

Hello Elliott supporters! I listened to the myspace samples provided (thank you!), and I'm still not crazy about him. His 'studio' voice tonally is a bit more mellow - not surprising there what with audio compression and everything they do to shape sound. But I've never liked his vibrato, it's too ubiquitous in my opinion. I thought that during the show as well. I'm not saying he is a bad singer - in fact, I think he's far better than Chris R., however, he just isn't my cup o' java, so to speak.

Jeff Howe said...

Hello Jayne.. how does any of us get anywhere? A click here, a click there and voila! lost! :-) Thanks for the comments. I don't know if the weekly stars contribute much beyond advice, but it's all about the marketing. Showing the audience some celebrity face and allowing the celebs to promote their new work. Genius! Hope the fajitas were hot! Cheers, Jeff