Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Weakly Weekly

Thought about not watchng Idol (again) this evening. I was fairly busy on my computer downstairs when it came on, but I made the trip to the TV after all.

I arrived for the last third of Phil's performance. What I saw and heard seemed fairly strong, and I'm thinking that he should have been doing something like this during the whole competition. If he had stayed upbeat with all his song choices, I think maybe he wouldn't have spent so much time in the bottom three.

Chris' piece was a train wreck in my opinion. He has kind of a mousy voice anyway, and it was fairly nasal in spots. In the chorus, he broke free of that sound, but it wasn't enough to save the song. I have to say that it was an utterly boring performance, and I was just waiting for it to be done.

Sanjaya has come back down to earth this week. The hair thing notwithstanding, he gets very pitchy during his runs. And what's up with the runs anyway? I can't imagine Bonnie Raitt doing that with her own music. I think they tend to be overdone and unnecessary most of the time. It wasn't the San-man's most terrible performance, but no way was it good either. I think he peaked with Latino week.

Lakisha. I think her star is falling. I don't know what it is, but where others have grown stronger through the weeks, she seems to be faltering somewhat. She was a tad on the boring side this week. I predict that she will be the surprise elimination ­ maybe not this week, but within the next 3-4.

Blake's performance seemed a bit pitchy in places, actually kind of jarringly so. I tried to get into his song, and I think I could with someone else singing it, but Blake left me flat on it. That wasn't a winning performance from him, everyone can have an off week. But with the fewer numbers of contestants, tt's growing more imperative that everyone brings the A side each week. This was definitely Blakes B side.

Melinda. During the session with Martina I kept thinking that here's another Melinda jazz ­ Broadway type performance. So I was pleasantly surprised with the end result. She phrases very well, hardly misses a note and has the ability weave a story every time she's on stage.

Jordin, Jordin Jordin. Though she went second I saved the best for last. It was an incredible performance. When she has the ability to reach through the TV screen and stir something deep inside the viewer ­ that says it all. Her singing, her facial expressions and gestures, I am still in awe. I also like her look for this week as well. She could have wardrobed silly with the country genre, but she went high class, and she was absolutely drop dead gorgeous.. Kudos, girl!!

Who to go? Hard to say. If it was based on performance alone, I'd say this week's bottom three will be Blake, Chris and Sanjaya with Sanjaya getting the pink slip. But Phil has been in the bottom three for too long that it will be difficult to overcome the inertia.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I too thought Jordan did excellent. My wife declared even before Simon did that she would win American Idol after that performance.

I am glad that I was on narcotics when I watched Sanjaya. He sounds even worse under the influence!

I think this week we will see Lakisha be voted out of the competition. She just does not seem to really want to win - like she's given up. She can sing better than she did last night.

Please turn on my computer.

Jeff Howe said...

done... how's the hinge?

Anonymous said...

I voted for Jordin last night. I hardly vote, only if the performance hits me in such a way that it is deemed necessary, and her performance did just that.

In season one, everyone thought Tamyra Gray was going to win. She had a Whitney like quality to her, from her voice to her look. I remember one week feeling that Kelley Clarkson was getting better and better each week and may just have a chance at winning idol. The rest is history. I had the same
feeling last night. Premonition, intuition, call it what you may, but I predict Jordin to take home the title.

Sanjaya gave us all a good belly laugh last night. My ten year old thought he looked ridiculous. If the feeling is mutual amoung all pre-teens, he may very well be ousted at last.

Lakisha looked her best last night, however sounded her worst.

I still like Blake, but at times I have to close my eyes and just listen because his facial expressions, more specifically his mouth, has a weirdness to it I can't quite describe.

Melinda was great a usual. She is definitely the best singer, but maybe not the next American Idol.

I have never been a fan of Phil, or Chris.

Till next time....

Jeff Howe said...

You might be right about Jordin. Melinda will be tough competition though, and she is seasoned. She is actually the better performer of the two, but Jordin is still very impressive as she seems to get better each week.

I think Melinda is going to have to pick a few big soulful ballads in the coming weeks to make a strong emotional connection which she has lacked a little of late. She's proven her technical ability, but she hasn't 'touched' for a while - not really since, ummm was it Diana Ross week? Can't remember.

I think Blake is trying to look like Sting. jmho.

Unknown said...

Bye Bye Sanjaya!