Thursday, April 5, 2007

Idol Recapitulation

This is only my 2nd year watching American Idol. Late to the game, it's always the same. I jump in during the middle of a run, often in the middle of the season.

Having said that, there seems to be an inordinate amount of waterworks going on this year, though all I have is last year to which to compare it. I know television loves its crying games, but these warbling contestants have had way more than their 15 minutes of fame. Imagine yourself being talked about in office buildings across the land every Wednesday and Thursday morning. They say fame is fleeting, and after May who will really get that kind of buzz any more?

None of them.

Even if they go on tour, sell millions of records (it's not like I own any records, but it's still tough saying millions of CDs), ride the American Top 40 for weeks and all that hoopla, they won't get the kind of attention they did on American Idol.

I try to put myself into their shoes during the competition, and all I can come up with is, gee it would be nice to go home. I gotta give Chris Sligh kudos for echoing that thought when he was ousted.

Parties have to end some time.

Anywho.... who the heck is Michael Buble? And did he ever wear long gold chains, an open collar white shirt and have a steady gig at the Holiday Inn lounge out on the interstate? Seriously, this guy really stunk, in my opinion. He has a record, excuse me, CD, coming out. Guess America is just proving that its lack of taste in music can make anyone a star.

Idle thought: Can anyone really see any of the Idols becoming timeless classic superstars, like, say, the Rolling Stones? Or Pink Floyd? Beatles? Who?

Neither can I.

So I called it wrong in my last post. I said either Phil or Haley. Never saw the Glock getting cold cocked this time.

On the other hand, I'm not surprised.

She had no legs. (psst, that's a metaphor for she didn't have staying power).

Or is it?



PS. Next week's Idol mentor is supposed to be J. Lo with a latino theme. Think maybe I'll skip it.

No comments: