Friday, February 9, 2007

John Edwards for President? No.

I don't care where John Edwards lives. I don't care what kind of house he owns or car he drives. And I actually think I can agree with him that, yes, there are people who have and people who don't have.

I don't care about any of the things I mentioned because they aren't relevant to me. However, I still find a wonderful irony in it all. It's really no different from those who stump for the environment while driving huge SUVs. Or those rich, celebrated folks who hold parties with little to no food to symbolize the plight of the homeless.

Whenever the haves try to show simpatico with the have nots, they invariably fail. They come across as looking like hypocrites. The only way they are able to pull it off is when they actually start doing something material for their causes (does Gates and Buffet come to mind?) rather than just talking about it in front of a camera.

Is John Edwards doing something for his "cause?" (and I say that with great cynicism). My guess is that he thinks running for President is the material action. But if he was truly smart and wily like a trial lawyer, he would realize that he'll never be elected President. And not because he built a big house.

No comments: