Thursday, January 4, 2007

Update on Book

Chapters 1-3 are complete - there will probably be some editing, particularly of Chapter 1, later on. Chapter 4 is solid, but I haven't hit the wrap up part of it yet. This leaves me with some questions about what to do next with the story line. I have a pretty good grasp about what I plan for plot directions and twists. But I haven't exactly got a route mapped out to get to them.

I think a lof of it has clicked pretty well to this point. The inspirations, though, have quieted down a bit, so I'm doing some others things instead of writing (like trying to fix my dead computer).

I still haven't decided on how long this book will be. I have close to 8,000 words, and I am running around 2.2K words per chapter so far. I have it in the back of my head to aim for 60,000 - 80,000 words total. The one thing I fear is the story running out of steam before then and having nothing but a short story on my hands. I'd really rather have this be feature length.

Wikipedia gives a good idea of word counts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_count

This is an interesting blog on writing books:

http://writinganovel.blogspot.com

Happy New Year and Happy Writing!

Cheers, Jeff

No comments: