Monday, January 15, 2007

Book Update

I have finished 5 chapters and it looks like the 6th is getting close to being wrapped up also. I have been averaging about 2400 words per chapter, and I'm trying to decide organizationally how I want chapter 6 to lead into 7. As 6 is entirely, at this point, a flashback chapter providing some background on the main character, I thought I would bring it back to the present in the last few paragraphs. But I'm not real sure at this point.

A newspaper editor who is reviewing my poetry book asked me today if I write every day. I told him not recently as I've been distracted with other things that need to be done. But I thought about his question and I wondered if I said no, does that make me seem like a person who doesn't take the writing seriously.

I've heard of writers who devote a daily portion of time to writing; I guess we've all heard that. But I can't say I've ever heard a professional writer say that he/she writes only when the mood strikes.

I mostly write in the morning before going to work. I'm up between 4 & 5 am, and that is a good time for me to do so. I'm by myself, I don't have to be tending to the wife or kids. It is freedom from obligation, and, therefore, the perfect time.

Anyway, back to the book. Several things have opened up on my in this book, and I'm amazed at how the story takes on its own life. It's as if I'm merely recording something someone else is telling me. Conversations between characters comes pretty easy to create. I get a little bored with the narrative portions where I have to get a character from place to place or time to time. Chapter 6 looks back at the character's divorce and his mom dying. Once I got into it, it flew by pretty quickly as do most of the flashbacks.

Writing a story is an interesting and odd experience. Even if it never gets published, I think the exercise alone was worth it.

Keep the pens ascribbling.

Cheers,

Jeff

No comments: