Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Of Trains and Other Things

Now available - Of Trains and Other Things.
My new book of short stories:




For more information: www.thejeffhowe.com



An excerpt from A Forest in Forever, one of the stories in the book:
Just as we reached the door, my cell phone rang.
“Hold on a minute, Maggie,” I said. Speaking into the phone, “Yeah?”
“Dad!”
“Stevie?”
“Yeah, Dad. Just thought I’d call to see if you made it home okay.”
“Stevie, I’m just fine, thank you.”
“Is that music I hear playing?”
“Yeah, Stevie... listen, I’m with your mom right now. I’ll call you back later.”
There was a brief silence. “Dad?”
“Yeah, what?”
“Dad, Mom died three years ago.”
I sighed. “Don’t you think I know that Stevie?”
“So, what do you mean that you are with Mom?”
“I’ll try to explain it to you later, Stevie, OK? Goodbye.” I was getting a little impatient with this conversation.
“But, Da...” I turned off the phone, folded it shut and returned it to my belt.
Smiling at Maggie, I motioned to the door and said, “Shall we?”
“Love to,” she smiled back.
I opened the door. Then I picked her up and carried her into the cabin. She giggled like a teenager as I kicked the door closed behind us.

No comments: