Saturday, August 30, 2008

And the Winner is....

Presidential candidates Barack Obama and John McCain recently announced their running mates to much fanfare and discussion on the airwaves and internet.

I am not a political analyst or pundit, but I have a few thoughts.

First, it seems to me like there has been a stronger focus on VP running mate picks this year than in the past. I'm probably just remembering it all wrong, but if true it doesn't reflect well on the presidential candidates themselves. I am not impressed with either party's nods to the top political position of our country. I'm guessing there are a lot of people in the same boat with me. Therefore, it becomes paramount to select the right running mate.

On the Democratic side, I have to think that a selection of Hilary Clinton would have really ignited the base, would have signified the party unity that they all kept talking about during their convention. It would have married the old machine Democrats to the New Age Democrats in a way that would have sent sparks throughout the country.

But Obama had to be looking at Hilary as an upstage to himself, and Bill certainly would have been an issue if Obama makes it to the White House. Enter Joe Biden. I may be wrong, but I am assuming that Biden was someone else's choice for Obama. No problem there; both candidates have a bevy of advisors that they listen to.

Joe Biden offers Obama many things Obama doesn't have - experience, many years of experience, and more experience. Plus, I have to add that oft tossed about word: gravitas. That was certainly the reason the machine chose Lloyd Bentsen for Dukakis back in 88. Both Bentsen and Biden are considered elder statesmen of the party.

But Joe Biden doesn't excite, doesn't energize the base, much of which is weeping because Hilary wasn't chosen. I can't imagine that Biden was Obama's desired outcome. I have a tendency to think that someone sold Biden to Obama because the chemistry just doesn't seem to work to me.

On the other hand, McCain's advisors kept pushing Lieberman-McCain, Ridge-McCain, Romney-McCain tickets. In the end McCain selected Sarah Palin, governor of Alaska.

The acceptance speech Palin gave was electric. It was powerful for what she said and for what she didn't say. It was a positive message of reform and common sense.

I think the selection of Palin was a brilliant move for McCain. He was having difficulty attracting women voters, and this can only help instead of hinder. He was having difficulty with the Republican base because he is seen too much as a appeaser and ally to the Democratic side of the aisle.

Given that McCain's people were stumping for a different matchup for McCain, I can only assume that Palin WAS McCain's choice, politically strategic of course, but no less inspired. Sarah Palin, by all articles I've read to date, has had the effect of making those who would not vote for McCain look at him in a different light now. The base seems to be swinging back toward him.

I'm still not crazy about either choice for President, because that is ultimately what we are voting for. However, the VEEP choices have cast a new light on things and it will be very interesting to see what transpires in November. Get out and vote!

No comments: