Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Quick Thoughts

First, I think everyone did a good job tonight, some better, but all pretty good.

There was, in my opinion, no one bad performance where I can definitively state that a certain person will not make it. Having said that I think a couple observances can be made.

David A. did a bang up job with
Appalachian Memories. I have not particularly cared for him this season. I think he's a good singer, but I've always thought his song choices were very transparent. And he's obviously a ballad singer - the uptempo stuff messed him up. But this week he really nailed it.

Michael J., in the pimp spot, reminded me of Delbert McClinton. And that's not a bad thing.

Ramiele may not have been particularly memorable, but she at least wasn't boring.

Kristy Lee seemed a bit flat at the open, but eventually picked it up a few bars in. The night's style suited her marvelously.

Loved Jason's Travelin' Thru. Thought Randy's comment was right on with the singer/songwriter vibe.

Brooke's opener, though not a huge stand out, was solid Brooke.

David C. - glad to see him take on Little Sparrow in the fashion he did. It showed he's not all about the harder rock aspect.

Carly and Syesha - both decent performances, but Syesha strayed way too close to Whitney territory in her close. She had a good voice, but she sounded too much like she was trying to sound like Whitney. Carly's version of Here You Come Again was quite different from the orginal (I remember when it came out). Not sure if I liked it or not.

There will be a bottom three, and I have no idea who it will be this week. I almost think Syesha will be one of them, perhaps with Ramiele. As to a third, I can't say.

Voted off prediction: Syesha, for becoming a cliche as a Whitney wannabe. I also lean toward Syesha because she has been in the bottom three already and Ramiele has not. If the show were about performance, then I'd say Ramiele will go.

But it's so much more (or less) than that.

No comments: