Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Quick Shots

Syesha - If I Was Your Woman
I like Syesha. I wish she'd do songs I like, but I like her. I think she's cute and can sing better than Ramiele. This song didn't do much for me, but she sang it well.

David Cook - Billie Jean
So many of these songs have been covered over the years that you can't tell if these people are singing someone else's cover version or if they came up with the arrangement on their own. I suspect that they are usually doing a cover version (like Daughtry singing Live's version of I Walk the Line). Probably Blake Lewis was one of the most original innovators. Apparently David C. was singing Chris Cornell's (Soundgarden) version of Billie Jean. . Still he pulled it off quite well AND in the pimp spot no less. He's a rising force.

Carly - Total Eclipse Of The Heart
Jim Steinman wrote Total Eclipse of the Heart. He was Meatloaf's hit song writer with songs such as Two out of Three Ain't Bad and Paradise by the Dashboard Lights. He also wrote Air Supply's Making Love out of Nothing At All. You can tell a Jim Steinman song - it's always about relationships and it has long rambling lines. Total Eclipse of the Heart was sung by Bonnie Tyler who had a short run of fame late 70s, early 80s. She had a distinctive, gravely voice, sort of like a female Rod Stewart, and it gave her songs a strong personality. I don't know if Carly's version lived up to the original. She sang it pretty well. I just don't know if it was enough.


Chikezie - If Only For One Night

Yeah, it was Chikezie being Luther for the night. Very 80s sounding. I thought it was a decent performance, his vocals are smooth. Funny thing is, Simon, who panned Chikezie's last performance as sounding like several different songs in one, now says Chikezie needs to go back to singing with that energetic kind of personality. These contestants can't win. lol.

Brooke - Every Breath You Take
The judges complained that Brooke should have not had the band come in uptempo like they did. I disagree. This wasn't Brooke's best performance of the season, but it was good. And the song really calls out for its hook, that haunting guitar part it starts with. The band provided that. She's still moving on, I'm pretty sure.

Jason - Fragile
I like Jason, even if he stays within his genre/style. He's a good package of personality, performance and presence. He does make some weird faces while singing though, which can be distracting. I don't know this song, so I don't know if it has any Spanish influences in it. Thought it was a good performance.


Ramiele - Alone
Not bad. But she is going to get compared to Nancy Wilson's version which is difficult. She seemed to fall short a bit.

Michael - We Are The Champions

I don't think this was significantly different from how Michael has performed to date, so I'm not sure where the judges are coming from. But I've always thought that what they see and hear there in the venue is probably quite different from what we see/hear in our living rooms. Probably enough to keep him safe.

Kristy - God Bless The USA
Finally, Kristy gets back to something she can do - country/pop style songs. She sang it quite well, thought she was a tad out of tune at the key change, but she came back OK. She will have to be very careful about song choice from this point on.


David A. - You're The Voice
He has a good voice, a smooth delivery. But he makes every song sound the same. David may have peaked too early unless he gives a total package in upcoming shows. He's getting a bit boring, he is.

If I had to guess as to who will go? Probably Chikezie. He seems to be the odd man out right now and I can't imagine his fan base is growing.

I hate the "mosh pit." Can the show stop getting camera angle from behind it. Seeing people's hands wave over the singers is quite irritating.

No comments: