Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Beatlemania Revisited

Without going into a song by song breakdown, last night was the Beatles meets Bizarro World. Everyone's stylizing now, and to the point where it's just getting weird. I'm not a Beatle's fan, but I still winced at times from the performances which were, I assume, done the way they were to avoid being called karaoke. It would seem that everyone is afraid of that term.

But really. You either tear a song apart, reassemble it or you do a straight cover. I don't see putting different inflections or runs in it as making it your own necessarily. Trying to sound like Whitney or Celine singing one of these songs is making it Whitney or Celine singing one of these songs.

I don't remember what half the people sang, so I guess it was quite memorable. ha! I know David A sang the Long and Winding Road, but that's only because it was my high school senior class song. Not sure what the lyrics have to do with a high school graduating class, but that's what they voted for. It was either that or Do You Know Where You're Going To?

Don't know if I'll watch the "who gets booted" show tonight. We'll be out for a couple hours and away from television. Probably need the break anyway.

No comments: