Thursday, December 28, 2006

Trying to Start a Writing Career

Like many people, I have been writing since childhood. Most of the things I remember writing were for school assignments, however my mother still has samples of poetry that I wrote on a whim. I look at those today and laugh a little for their simplicity and inexperience, but everyone starts somewhere, right?

I've dabbled here and there in writing through the years. I've taken the high school and college courses in creative writing, journalism and so on. But it wasn't until last year that I actually started writing with any sort of purpose. I published my first book, From Here to Never: Time Travels from Maine, through the print-on-demand publisher, PublishAmerica.com. I'll be writing more on that later.

From Here to Never is a compilation of poems, song lyrics, and prose. It is over 180 pages long. I created the cover for it and did all the editing. You can find more information about it here: www.thejeffhowe.com. Since publication, I have accumulated enough work to fill a second book. I am still in the process of trying to market the first book, though, so I won't be launching any new publishing projects soon.

Additionally, I have started writing a story. Short story? Novel? I don't know yet, and really won't until it develops further. Til next time, cheers! Jeff

No comments: