Friday, December 29, 2006

A Poetry Sample


Horses in the Mist

When just before the day breaks free
Rips loose the ragged reign of night
The clouds descend to hug the land
Obscure the image from my sight
Of pastures where the grass is kissed
With dew, graze horses in the mist

I pause to see their equine grace
In stately stance or joyous run
With wisps of gray they're cloaked until
A morning breeze reveals the sun
As tendrils of the fog persist
Subdue the horses in the mist

This poem is not in my book. It is in the poetry anthology Sailing in the Mist of Time which was compiled from the Margaret Reid Traditional Poetry Contest. I don't have any punctuation in it mostly because I am lazy about such things. I think I did include it in the version I submitted to the contest.

This style is a rather classical, traditional style of poetry. I write in many different styles. Though I lean more toward rhyme, every now and then I like to let a good freeverse rip! The *rip* really refers to my writing it - not necessarily its impact. :-)

The inspiration for this poem came when I drove by a pasture one misty morning where horses were grazing. First thought to come to mind was - 'horses in the mist', that would be a nice poem title. Then the whole thing started pouring out. I finished it at work that morning.


4 comments:

Aubrey said...

Not R.I.P. I hope!

Jeff Howe said...

That R.T.B.S. (remains to be seen). lol

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff,
I like this poem "Horses in the Mist" very much. The imagery is truly beautiful and so is the picture. Horses are also my favorite animals.
Your site is interesting and thank you for serving your country. God bless and happy new year, Caroline.

Jeff Howe said...

Thank you Caroline. Have you gone to the new poets.com site? Have a great new year!