Wednesday, December 26, 2018

A 10-Year Retrospective

As we approach the turning of the year, I decided to look back over the last ten.

This is what I came up with.

In 2008, my father-in-law passed away. Other stuff happened that year.

In 2009, my mother-in-law passed away. Other stuff happened that year.

In 2010, I took my wife and sons to Fenway Park for their first (and only) Red Sox game. Too expensive to do regularly. Other stuff happened that year.

In 2011, my wife had a brain tumor which was successfully removed. My oldest son graduated from high school. Other stuff happened that year.

In 2012, I had prostate cancer and had my prostate removed. Other stuff happened that year.

In 2013, my youngest son graduated high school and I was diagnosed with a degenerative condition. Other stuff happened that year.

In 2014, we made our very last trip to North Carolina after doing it yearly for over 20 years. I had a hip replaced. Other stuff happened that year.

In 2015, my oldest son moved out. My wife and I flew to Jacksonville, Florida to visit relatives. Other stuff happened that year.

In 2016, my youngest son moved out AND got married. My wife and I flew to Savannah, Georgia - the first time we have been there since 1986.  It was for our anniversary and where I asked her to marry me. Other stuff happened that year.

In 2017, stuff happened that year.

In 2018, my wife had both knees replaced. We left the church we had been attending for 20 years. Other stuff happened this year.

So the big question for me is, are the years defined by the big stuff that happens or the other stuff?

Here's to 2019 and whatever stuff it brings.

No comments: