Tuesday, January 3, 2017

A Trip to the Past - Fort Stewart (Part 2)

(Click on any picture to see a larger version of it)

In order to enter Fort Stewart as a civilian with no military-affiliated ID, one has to go to the Visitor Center which is right beside the main gate in Hinesville, provide a photo ID, car registration and proof of insurance. A quick background check is done and temporary passes issued. We were asked how long we would be there and I said only for the afternoon. The passes they gave us were good for a week.


Upon entering the main gate, the highway runs to the left of Division Headquarters. This is how it looked 30 years ago.



The building has since been rebuilt and has a more modern presentation in Greek Revival.


Take a right at the intersection like you are heading towards the old 124th area. On the left beyond 3rd Div Headquarters is a large brick building. It sits on the spot where the smaller Welcome Center used to be. Beyond that is the SCIF. Or what used to be the SCIF. It's still a secured building with fence and concertina wire around it.

And then after that is the barracks that everyone used to be very familiar with. They looked like this.


But as Rolf pointed out earlier in 2016, they have changed a bit. Now they look like this.


This used to be MJ's room. Her window was behind the bush on the left. There were no bushes when we were stationed there.


I spoke with a soldier who had come out the barracks while we were standing in the parking lot and he told me that these were now where in-processing soldiers stayed. In other words, the former 124th MI Bn is now the Welcome Center.

I took more pictures of the battalion area.

 
 
 
 
 

As you can see from these older pictures, the structures still remain but there are significant differences.

 
 
 

The last picture is looking across to the mess halls. This is how it currently looks.


I don't know what that large brick building in the center is. I didn't check it out.

There is a new PX/Commissary building. I didn't photograph it. Here is how they looked 30 years ago.



Now that entire building complex is some sort of strip mall.


The National Guard barracks look pretty much the same as do the motor pools and the hospital. This old wooden building where we used to play basketball is still there.


The theater remains as does the Burger King that was established when we were there. It is probably what put the off post Burger King out of business.

I did find one place where the 24th Infantry Division was mentioned. That was at the Desert Storm memorial across from the new PX. Here are some pictures of it.


I didn't go to Desert Storm. I was 4-5 years into civilianhood when the war started. But because I wore the 24th Infantry Division hat, I had MJ take my picture next to the memorial.


 I considered doing a Part 3 which would have included pictures from Savannah but I didn't get many. So, I'll end this blog post with pictures I took of River Street. 




And because it's one of my favorite places - and it still exists....
Kevin Barry's Irish Pub.



Go back and see Hinesville: Trip to the Past: Hinesville













6 comments:

Unknown said...

C 3-15 Inf. 24th ID '89-'91. your pics brought back alot of memories. 2 of my Brothers are on that memorial Andy Alaniz and John Hutto..KIA 2-27-91 Jalibah, Iraq

Jeff Howe said...

I just found out that blogger.com is setting aside comments on blog posts for review before posting them, ostensibly to prevent spam which I appreciate. But I didn't realize it until now. So I accepted your gracious comments and now they are available for all to read. Apologies for any inconvenience. Websites have a way of altering their functionality without warning.

My condolences for your brothers. They were heroes.

Anonymous said...

I’m still here from 1984 til even now

Jeff Howe said...

Thought you might be someone I know, but his FB profile says he's not there any more.

Chuck said...

I'm an old timer! I was stationed at Fort Stewart from 1968 to 1970.HinnesvillE was a real one horse town then. I truly enjoy my time at Stewart. Does anyone remember a off base club called the 'twilight club' ? This was great old beer joint just off base.

Jeff Howe said...

Chuck, I was there from 83-86 and then stayed in Hinesville for a year waiting for my girlfriend, whom I married in 86, to get out. By that time the best known clubs were the Why Not and Oasis. Never heard of the Twilight Club.