Friday, June 12, 2009

Rambling

Lakers are up 3 to 1 against the Magic in the championship series. When I heard that this morning on the radio sports news, I just said to myself, "I don't care if LA wins it." Back in the 80s, I would have hated to see the Lakers on top. But then again, the 70s and 80s Celtics were my team. I haven't really followed professional basketball since 1988.

Which got me thinking about Major League Baseball. I loved the Red Sox in the 70s. I like them now and feel somewhat disappointed when they don't make it all the way. But I'm not devastated. I don't know... I just have a hard time getting to wrapped up in fandom of any sports team these days. They are fun to watch now and then, fun to talk about. I just can't get to the level of worship of these overpaid game players that some people do, though.

It's unfortunate, but the skyrocketing payrolls of professional sports teams have made the sports inaccessible to me. I can't afford to take the family to Fenway Park to catch a game, though my son keeps bugging me to. Back in the 70s, a box seat went for $5. Even in the 80s when I was in college in the greater Boston area, seating was affordable. Now, they start at $125 - if you can get them.

We don't have cable TV, so we can't watch any of the games as almost all of them are broadcast on NESN. I tried a month of MLB-TV which is streamed over the internet, but all live Red Sox games are blacked out.

I don't mean to sound like I'm living in the past, but I miss those days when you could catch a game on network television or just go to the ticket counter at Fenway Park and buy tickets the day of the game.

Speaking of the past, whatever happened to curb feelers? You know, those springy metal things people clipped to their car bodies to warn them when they got to close to the curb when parking? I wonder how the curb feeler industry ended up going out of business - lack of interest?

I see Obama wants to drive this country into the ground with his seemingly popular brand of fascism. I think it's getting time to hunker in the bunker.

Later.

No comments: