Thursday, January 17, 2008

Aspiring Novelists, Take Heart!

I have read blogs and personal accounts from writers discussing their writing habits. It would seem that most of them have already knocked out about 100,000 words first thing in the morning before coffee - and that they do this every day of the week.

I don't know about you, but I find 2000 words a day difficult to do.

At this point in my writing experiment, my first novel has ground to a standstill at 43,000 words after a little over a year. It really stopped last April and hasn't resumed yet.

I've been writing, putting together more materials for two more books, short stories and poetry. But the big project has been bugging me from the back shelf I put it on last year.

However, I have found some information that gives me hope.

Joseph Heller started writing Catch-22 in 1953.

He didn't finish it until 1961.

That's 8 years.

Mark Twain started Huckleberry Finn in 1876.

He turned it all over to the typesetter in 1884.

That's 8 years.

What I'm writing has nothing near the scope of the two works I mentioned. And it won't be as good either, ha! But I think that I may actually be able to get it done before 8 years have passed.

Keep writing!

No comments: