Wednesday, June 6, 2007

So You Want to be Published (pt. 3)

When PublishAmerica rejected my second book, I spent a little time looking around at publishing alternatives. I checked into some well know online publishers such as Xlibris and iUniverse, found them too expensive for my tastes. Some lesser known sites, which I no longer remember, were pricey as well. They had different levels of publishing, the lowest starting around $300-$400.

I had looked at Lulu back when I was seeking a publisher for my first book, found their site to be somewhat ponderous, difficult to navigate and find the information I wanted - at least on the quick. But I decided to go back to it and spend some time trying to figure out what they offered and what it would cost.

This is what I found out:

Lulu will publish a book at no cost to the author... IF the author provides all the files needed to create the book.
Lulu will provide an ISBN and distribution package which will place the book with Bowker Books who, in turn, takes care of placement on the online retailers. This service cost only $100.
Lulu offers different levels of service at various prices based upon what the author needs to produce his/her book.
Where PublishAmerica doesn't allow for color pictures in the books they publish (that's what they told me), Lulu will. However, the more frills the author adds to the book, the more expensive the book becomes. This is only logical. Printing color is always more expensive than black and white.
Lulu requires no signed contracts to fulfill publishing.

After consideration, I decided that Lulu would be my choice for my second book. It took some time to figure out how to use their website - not everything is immediately obvious. But I was able to get through the process with no problems in the end, and I have ordered 20 books for sale and promotion.

Here are the benefits of Lulu over PublishAmerica.

• In my earlier post I said that PA's book layout was only adequate. PA is obviously using a standardized template for poetry anthology layouts which means all poems are left aligned with a 5/8 inch margin. This on a sheet of paper measuring 5-1/2" wide by 8" tall. If a poem's lines are short, there will be a lot of white space to the right of the poem. There is only one poem per page, so if the poem is short, say like a haiku, there will also be a lot of white space below the poem. PA does not include a table of contents, and there is no way to create one until you can see how the poems are gonig to flow from page to page based on their length, font size used, tracking and leading and so on.

With Lulu I laid out the entire book myself using Quark Express. I was able to center the poems in the page and fill the pages to the extent I wanted them filled. I was also able to include my own table of contents and design elements, not to mention an introduction. I also placed some information, such as my website on the title page and a recognition that I designed the cover art as well as the book itself. I am much happier with the end product because I did it myself. I understand that most people won't have that ability, but if you do, you can save some serious money by doing it yourself.

• I knew from the start what the book would cost me as I filled out the specs of what I wanted in the book and Lulu tallied it up. With PA, I had no idea how much the book would cost me until it was all done. (Note: by "cost" in this bullet point, I mean how much it costs me to buy one of my own books). After the author finds out the cost, then he/she can add in the desired royalty payment and determine the retail cost of the book.

• Lulu allows for as many revisions as necessary to satisfy the author prior to making the book publicly available for purchase.

There are other aspects of Lulu I liked over PA, but the biggest, to me, was the ability to create my own book. I would have done the same with PA if they allowed me - perhaps they do, I just never found out.

So that is my experience with PODs and self-publishing.

My next post will talk about what to do with the book once it is finished.

No comments: